Learn more about the current 36 elected sheriffs in Oregon and the counties they serve.
Click on a county to highlighted it and see that the sheriff's biography along other information.
Sheriff Terry Rowan
Terry Rowan has 23 years of law enforcement experience all in Umatilla County, with service as a dispatcher/control room operator, corrections officer, transport officer, civil deputy, criminal patrol deputy, and criminal investigator. He worked with the Hermiston Police Department as a Police Officer, Detective and Agency Leader. Terry has served on the Major Crimes team for Umatilla and Morrow Counties as a lead investigator and supervisor. Terry is a second-generation public servant, a man whose dad instilled in him a pervading sense of responsibility and a powerful work ethic. Little wonder he is consumed with public safety and says, “It’s not in me to take a back seat; I have a desire to serve and make the community safer.” Terry has served at the Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office as the Undersheriff since May of 2005. While serving as Undersheriff, he has gained significant experience in Police Administration and discovered the uniqueness of running a Sheriff’s Office. He has played a major role in developing programs and making positive changes to more effectively and efficiently run the Sheriff’s Office: all while staying within the budget provided. Terry intends to build on the foundation started by Sheriff John Trumbo. Terry holds a number of certificates and has/is serving on a variety of public interest boards:
• Member Oregon State Sheriff’s Association
• OSSA Command Council
• Public Advisory Council for Eastern Oregon Corrections Institute
• Board member Oregon Executive Development Institute
• Department of Justice and Homeland Security counterterrorism member
• Supervisor Major Crimes Team • Board president for Buck Brogoitti Animal Sanctuary
• Drug Court Committee
• Local Supervisory Authority
• Blue Mountain Community College Criminal Justice program advisory board
• Member of the Multi-disciplinary team
• Member of the Child fatality review board
• Federal Joint Terrorism Task Force
• Past President of Hermiston Police Association
• Local Public Safety Coordinating Council
• Umatilla/Morrow County Law Enforcement Administrators Assc.
• Deputy Medical Examiner
• Extensive Risk Management Training.
• Certified through D.P.S.S.T.
• Helping Hand for the homeless shelter.
Terry grew up in Mustang, Oklahoma and is a graduate of Mustang High School. He is receiving his formal Education through Chemeketa Community College in Public Administration. He has lived in Oregon since 1989 and is currently living in Hermiston, Oregon with Tamara, his wife of 22 years. They are very proud of their 2 adult daughters, Jessica and Megan. Both are attending courses in higher education at Corvallis, Oregon.
Terry has been very involved in his community and working with the youth as a Basketball, Baseball, and Soccer Coach. He has been a 4-H leader and was a Board Member on HYBA, Best of the West Basketball, AYSO soccer, Umatilla County Fair Livestock Sales committee, and Pendleton Junior Show and Livestock committee, Future Farmers of America Alumni, Special Friends reading program, Board member of Ducks Unlimited – Hermiston Chapter. Terry enjoys time with family, playing golf, hunting, fishing, and enjoying the outdoors.