The Oregon State Sheriffs’ Association (OSSA) is accepting applications for a $1,600.00 scholarship, awarded annually to qualified Oregon high school seniors or current college students who intend to pursue an education at a community college or a four-year college/university with a career in a law enforcement field of study.
The potential contribution of the student in a law enforcement-related field is the primary consideration. Financial need of the student is NOT a criteria for selection. The selection of the winner will be made by the OSSA Scholarship Committee, which is comprised of association members. Selection is usually made by reviewing the items submitted; however, a finalist could be asked to interview with the Scholarship Committee.
To qualify, each candidate must submit:
- The OSSA Scholarship Application Form
- An original essay, not to exceed three pages handwritten or typed, on the topic:
“What challenges do you see in the field of law enforcement and what are your views on meeting these challenges?”
- High school or college transcripts
- SAT or ACT scores
- Letter of Acceptance to a community college or a four-year college/university (high school seniors only)
The successful candidates will be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- Candidate’s studies and experiences as they relate to chosen field of interest with law enforcement
- Scholastic performance in all classes as it relates to success in higher education (GPA)
- SAT or ACT scores
- Thought process, grammatical usage and ability to express self in the essay
- Legibility, neatness and accuracy of information submitted
All entries will be acknowledged. The notification of the winners will take place on July 15th. The financial award will be paid to the community college or four-year college/university prior to August 15th.
APPLICATIONS DUE JUNE 30TH
APPLICATIONS CLOSED FOR 2020!
To download an application, click the link below.
Oregon State Sheriffs’ Association
PO Box 7468
Salem, OR 97303